Friday, February 17, 2006

I don't know if something is screwed up with me, or with the NFL.

Tonight, in a random conversation, someone brought up a guy named Wade Wilson. (a designer at the Post-Dispatch, by the way.)
My first thought was this guy:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/WilsWa00.htm

Which is weird because, looking at the stats, he was not good enough to have stuck in my mind for roughly 10 years. He wasn't even a star of any of my fave Tecmo Bowl teams OR my hated Tecmo Bowl teams (which is why I still remember/honor/hate Heywood Jeffires, Randall Hill and Steve DeBerg)

It's especially weird when you consider that I really should have thought of this guy first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Wilson
Especially since I was just reading a Deadpool compilation the other day.

Upon further review, it's probably my mind that's addled. No way the NFL has taken over my brain that badly.
Even David Stern couldn't get folks to remember mediocre players for 10 years after they retired. Could he?


(Edited to correct Heywood Jeffires' name. I now feel slightly bad about all the years I mocked Tecmo for misspelling his name. I'm pretty sure they misspelled other names, but still ...)

3 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, February 17, 2006, Blogger Marcus said...

One thing ... and this is a copy editor nitpick/bit of trivia: Haywood Jeffries is actually spelled Haywood Jeffires. I remember looking at the back of his jersey thinking he had a "GREZTKY" incident with the equipment manager.

 
At 4:35 AM, February 17, 2006, Blogger Marcus said...

Also ... how did the NFL's Wade Wilson manage to stay in the league through 1998?

 
At 9:31 PM, February 17, 2006, Blogger The Ford said...

I can only think there's something wrong with the Raiders, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home